

Minutes, Lakeside Committee Meeting, January 11, 2017

Time of the meeting: 7:00 to 8:00pm

Notes taken by: Peter Landgren

Present at the meeting:

- **Committee members**

1. President: Isabela Morales
2. Vice President: Jessica Brown
3. Treasurer: David Cho
4. Social Chair: Vicky G.
5. Garden Coordinator: Kyle Oskvig
6. External Relations Delegate: Merle Eisenberg
7. Secretary: Peter Landgren
8. Webmaster: Absent (Jon MacArt)

- **University**

1. Olivia Martel

- **ACC**

1. Mark Clemmons

- **Residents**

1. Eugene Evans
2. Charles Swanson
3. Erene R Morlos
4. Anjo Weichbrodt

Discussion Points

1. Parking Garage

Isabela:

Proceed slowly signs have been installed. Now you all know to proceed slowly. Comments?

Merle:

You can't see them until you pass them, it is what it is. One seems to have fallen off.

Mark:

It hasn't been replaced yet, but it will.

Resident:

Would it be possible to paint the sign on the floor instead?

Mark:

I can ask, I had a walkthrough with Kim Jackson, she's a parking expert, she picked the spots for the signs. There are also risks with placing the signs on the ground, but I can ask.

Jessica:

Are they done with the garage work?

Mark:

No, it'll be done sometime in February.

2. Community Garden Update

Kyle:

We finished the cleanup. I have some spreadsheets regarding the garden's finances. I inherited a pile of cash related to the garden. I put it in my bank account but am keeping track of it now in a spreadsheet. We now have \$478 in the fund. We made about \$100 from deposits that weren't fully refunded. On that note, since we had some problems this year, I'd like to increase the fee to \$30 and double the refundable portion to \$20, which hopefully will increase cleanup participation.

Isabela:

What currently governs the finances? Is there a handbook?

Kyle:

There is a handbook, put together with Mark and others, gardeners sign on to this when they get a plot.

Olivia:

One thought regarding funds is to establish an independent fund where the money rolls over from year to year is so you don't have to transfer money with your internal bank account. It also would make it easier to keep things clear financially.

Kyle:

Is that easy to do? How would we handle that?

Olivia:

I think so, I'll look into creating a neutral account?

Jessica:

What is the money for?

Kyle:

It's for standard garden items, such as hose replacement or other improvements. The other side of the treasury sheet I passed around is the shed, I'm making sure to keep it neat, and I'm keeping track of the tools and equipment. For next year, right after the housing lottery comes out we'll get started with the garden signups, as they were a little late last year.

3. Event Info

Vicky:

We are doing a bagel breakfast on January 21st at 9:00 AM, with bagels, muffins, coffee and orange juice from Corner Bakery.

Tentative February events include a bingo night and an ice cream social. In March we are planning a Pizza Pi night (3/14) and a wine and cheese event. Grad appreciation week is in April and those events have not been finalized. Hopefully we can have a Cinco de Mayo event in May to finish out the year.

Olivia:

It could be wise to submit the Cinco de Mayo plans to the events board now. Also for grad student appreciation week don't feel any pressure to do a bunch of events.

Vicky:

Okay great, I was under the assumption that an event had to be held every day, most likely it will be Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday.

Oliva:

Is ACC funding some of these events?

Mark:

Maybe.

Vicky:

Okay, we can chat about funding later. ACC did help last year I believe.

4. Lights in the Gym

Isabela:

Currently the lights in the gym are on a timer and can turn off if one is running too long. Can this motion sensor system be placed on a different switch or a longer timer?

Levi:

It could just be broken, it didn't turn on at all for me recently.

Mark:

We'll look into it. I just spoke to him yesterday.

5. Composting at Lakeside

Isabela:

This is from a resident email. The garden compost can't accommodate the compost from all residents due to its size and limitations on what it can take (meat, napkins, etc). The township have a composting service for approximately \$60/year and some residents last year pooled money to get one.

Merle:

Has anyone actually used the garden compost? It doesn't seem like anyone does.

Kyle:

One side is at least about 20% full, but overall it's not heavily used.

Resident:

What is the protocol for using the garden compost?

Kyle:

Feel free to put your things in. There was worry that if we opened it up to everyone it would get overwhelmed. I've only sent around the composting info to the garden list. There was an incident recently where someone accidentally used all the compost.

Olivia:

So this begs the question, how much demand is there?

Isabela:

So we could publicize the garden compost, and see how much interest there is. We would want to send out instructions to people put the correct things in.

Kyle:

We could also get more bins if there is the demand and use the compost for the garden. However, people will always put strange things in and I'd rather not deal with that.

Isabela:

And that was part of the motivation for getting the township's composting bins.

Olivia:

I've also learned that some individuals in Frist have taken it upon themselves to contribute their own compost to the Campus Dining bins without making

sure it was done appropriately and the bins have become contaminated. So the chance of Lakeside being able to join the University system is probably slim given this.

Merle:

We don't know how many people want to do this. Perhaps we can poll people and if only a few respond we'll use the garden compost, but if there's large interest we can do something larger scale, perhaps with the town.

Kyle:

With the survey we should also be realistic about how hard it can be to get to the composting bins, it's not just on the way to the bus.

Resident:

In the past I've seen it arranged that the people who put things in were responsible for emptying it. Or perhaps a subset of the gardening committee could manage it.

Olivia:

I think an onsite solution is the simplest thing logistically at first.

Kyle:

And it all depends on how many people are interested.

Isabela:

Yes, the poll is the first step.

UPDATE: The Lakeside Committee conducted a survey about interest in composting in December 2015. Of 174 respondents, two-thirds said they would use a compost bin on a weekly basis if one was provided, and one-third said they would attend an informational meeting to learn about the composting process. Assuming these numbers will hold for current residents, the committee plans to hold an informational meeting in February.

6. Landscaping

Merle:

Is there an update on the landscaping?

Mark:

No new info since last time.

Jessica:

There were some trucks down there.

Mark:

They were just making the pathway down.

Additional Note. Bookcase

Merle:

The signs are now on the bookcase, please put books in the correct categories.