

Minutes, Lakeside Committee Meeting, Dec. 1, 2015

Time of the meeting: 7:00 to 8:00pm

Notes taken by: Christine Philippe-Blumauer

Present at the meeting:

Committee members

1. President: Isabela Morales
2. Vice President: Lian Zhu
3. Secretary: Christine Philippe-Blumauer
4. Social Chair: Amanda Siemann
5. Webmaster: Jon MacArt
6. Garden Coordinator: Katie Wolf
7. External Relations Delegate: Akil Word-Daniels

University

1. Olivia Martel

RESIDENTS PRESENT:

1. Bryan Heck
2. Sarthak Parikh
3. Massimo Balloni
4. Laura Collins
5. Kabir Khanna
6. Eugene Evans
7. Maria Rogers
8. Chris Wright
9. Charles Swanson

ABSENT

Treasurer: absent, excused

Discussion Points

I. GC House Committee

Four positions to be filled, Lakeside residents can run, housing priority will be granted. ghhouse@princeton.edu can be contacted for those interested.

II. Internet updates

- Update conducted before Thanksgiving seems to have resolved most of the issues.

- IP address problem: Devices were holding on to IP-addresses even when they were no longer online. This led to draining of batteries for instance.

→ One resident present still receives alert notifications from Google and other websites.

Isabella: Will contact ACC on that specific matter

- using the Princeton network: no plans for it to happen this year

→ Help getting journal articles:

A Lakeside resident has offered to share a simple javascript he wrote to help residents get journal articles without going through the Princeton library webpage. Instructions:

1. Copy and paste the following into your web browser, verbatim:

```
javascript: location.href = "http://" + location.host +  
".ezproxy.princeton.edu" + location.pathname +  
location.search + location.hash;
```

2. Bookmark the resulting page

3. When you have found a journal article through Google Scholar, etc, click on the bookmark. You will be prompted to enter your Princeton login info, and will then have access.

- Internet survey results

Jon: limited bandwidth is still a problem -- noticeable slowdowns in the evenings. Bandwidth to Lakeside could be increased by the internet service provider. Overall service quality can be improved by increasing bandwidth; however, SSH connection latency (remote access to on-campus machines) will still be an issue.

Olivia: being connected to PU will not happen because the cost will be too high. What can be done is to improve hotwire. Are there other issues with the internet? I suggest to write an informed letter to the University on what can be improved with the internet connection at Lakeside. → Jon

Christine: survey will be posted online. → Jon

Resident: How can we access the network to print in the Commons?

Jon: information on configuring your machine for VPN access is available on the Lakeside Committee website. Specific instructions for using a VPN connection to print to the Commons will be added to the website. → Jon

III. Utilities billing

Isabela: On November 18th, there was a meeting with Princeton administrators and a representative from Princeton's General Counsel to discuss potential discrepancies in utilities billing.

Students who attended: Isabela Morales (Lakeside Committee Chair), Julia Wittes (GSG Facilities Chair), Ashkay Mehra (GSG president), and Bryan Heck.

Meeting Minutes:

A. Question of Legality

Yes, sub-metering is legal for Princeton, due to its charitable organization status. The Board of Public Utilities does NOT have a process for approving/rejecting plans for submetering, which is why we could not originally find records of this there. The request went

through PSE&G. Princeton submitted their plans to PSE&G, and the plans were approved.

B. WHY sub-metering was chosen for Lakeside: convenience for residents

Dorian Johnson (director of housing) and James Poole (graduate housing): The sub-meters were an attempt to make it easier for students to have electricity available to them as soon as they moved in. This would not have been the case if students had to make individual arrangements with PSE&G (as at Butler, for ex). Making individual arrangements would have been especially difficult for international students, because PSE&G requires a social security number and may have charged internat'l students exorbitantly high security deposits.

James Poole: He feels that allowing this to happen would have been discriminatory against international students.

C. Inspections/Repairs to Meters

The university DID identify wiring issues with the meters in July (during the first billing cycle for students who moved in in June). The wiring problem affected the accuracy of meters' readings of particular units' power usage.

Repairs and physical testing of meters were completed in July/August, before the 2nd bills went out (this is why the 2nd bill was delayed). The first bill was the only one where some residents were overcharged due to the wiring issues.

A contractor came in and read the meter for EVERY unit in Lakeside to check readings after the repairs were completed.

There was also some issue with ethernet ports that led to certain units being undercharged.

D. Refunds and Credits

Residents who were undercharged because of the ethernet issue will NOT be charged more retroactively

Credits for those who were overcharged were sent out the week before Thanksgiving. If you did not receive an email regarding this, your unit was not overcharged.

Instructions for applying your credit: The credit will NOT be applied directly to your next bill, so you will need to do that math yourself. (Sorry for the inconvenience!)

Example: If you received a credit for \$10 and your next bill is \$20, you should submit a check for \$10. If you received a credit for \$10 and your next bill is \$5, do not submit a check for your next bill, and for the bill after, subtract \$5 from the total.

IV. ACC Monthly Newsletter

Committee: Will figure out where this is at with ACC. → [Akil](#), [cc Jon](#)

V. Mid-rise buildings

- burst water pipe/ elevators/ leaks & mold in 151 Taylor Ct

Isabella: cause was unrelated to previous fire alarms. Residents have been informed about follow-up maintenance. Leaks are being fixed, mold will be taken care of.

Resident: I live in a unit in 151 Taylor Ct that got flooded twice already, I'd like to know if there is confirmation that it won't happen again.

→ Olivia: I will look into this specific issue.

- phone system/ directory

Isabella: ACC's goal is for it to be fully operational when residents return from winter break.

Christine: how does it work for units with multiple residents since the system sends the call to one dedicated number?

Isabella: We will bring it up we ACC. → [Akil](#)

VI. Community garden

- current timeline

Katie: initial plan was to have the garden on the flats next to the lake but these are too small. Plan right now is to have the garden where the Hibben Magie garden was but plans are not finalized and it might be that the garden will not open next spring. I am working on workarounds i.e. gardening at Lawrence.

Olivia: Spring is most likely not possible, but will summer maybe be possible?

Katie: Maybe we will be able to start working on the soil next year for it to be ready the year after. Another option would be to have small plots on the flats next to the lake – which might still become part of the community garden because the one on the old Hibben Magie spot might not be accessible to everyone because of stairs etc. – where we could grow next year.

Katie visited Duke Garden (largest community garden in the country) to get tips on community gardening.

So far, about 100 residents have responded to the survey and 53 are interested in gardening.

- composting options

Katie: There is an option to get individual composting. Options are being discussed with the University and ACC. Individual composting would be taken care of by the town, not the university.

We would probably need to compost streams. One for individual compost and another garden-specific one. Garden compost does not take all materials that we can put in the township compost.

Olivia: The University is currently looking into options to see if pick-up from the township is feasible.

VII. Social events for December

- survey results

Amanda: most interest goes to BBQs, movie watches, food-sharing and crafting.

What I decided to do for December will be a movie watch (holiday movie like Home Alone). Then another event where people can bring cookies and then we can decorate them together and exchange them.

Laura Collins: what about kid activities? I think there are only 12 families with children that would be excited by events so if this is about the amount of responses you got on kid activities, this accounts for the majority of families. Also, I would be happy to help out at events.

VIII. Misc updates

- public calendar for room reservations

→ Available on the committee's website

- bike pump

→ ACC is ok with this. Committee is working on getting information on the best type and looking into getting funding from the Office of Sustainability

- leaf-blowing

→ leaf-blowing is not happening on weekends anymore (as of several weeks ago)

- playground signs

→ Dog forbidden sign have been place.

- storm drain covers

→ Currently being placed.

- undergraduate parking

Olivia: garage was scaled slightly larger than code. It is not the Lakeside garage it is a university parking lot at Lakeside that can be used by others from PU.

- USPS/ misplaced packages

→ Please use the forum on the website to post on found packages.

Laura: Can they place some shelves because it's going to be get worse getting closer to Christmas.

Isabella: Will be bring it up with ACC. → **Akil**

Maria: Have posters in the mailrooms to tell residents how to report on missing packages. → **Lian**

- Dog-run

→ Olivia: won't happen because it goes against the township leash rule.

Maria: I have contacts with the township and I will try to understand the issue better and see if there is a way to go about it.

- Up-coming GSG meeting

→ Residents can e-mail Akil if there any issues they wish to be brought up there.

- Limited amount of covered bike racks. It would be great to have something similar to what's available at the Dinkie Station.

→ Olivia: This has been brought repeatedly.

→ Isabella/Katie: We will bring it up again. Maybe a part of the garage can be made available for bikes.

- Monthly inspections are a nuisance and there are still issues with rescheduling

→ Isabella: Please let us know and liaise with Mark if scheduling remains an issue.

Next meeting: Tuesday January 5th, 2016.