

Minutes, Lakeside Committee Meeting, December 8, 2016

Time of the meeting: 7:00 to 8:00pm

Notes taken by: Peter Landgren

Present at the meeting:

- **Committee members**

1. President: Isabela Morales
2. Vice President: Jessica Brown
3. Treasurer: David Cho
4. Social Chair: Vicky G.
5. Garden Coordinator: Kyle Oskvig
6. External Relations Delegate: Absent (Merle Eisenberg)
7. Secretary: Peter Landgren
8. Webmaster: Absent (Jon MacArt)

- **University**

1. Oliva Martel

- **ACC**

1. Mark Clemmons

- **Residents**

1. Charles Swanson
2. Will Smith
3. Chris Russoniello

Discussion Points

1. Parking Information

Isabela:

Sign will be installed shortly (“proceed slowly” signs). There was also a request for mirrors, but this was impractical as it would require us to lower clearance in the garage. As a reminder guests need passes at all times,

however, lots 23 and 21 do not require passes. We'd also like to remind residents to leave the parking spaces closest to the elevators open for family parking. Parking cannot enforce this but we can act on it as a community and perhaps it will be enforced in the future.

Jessica:

Is there any update on the garage work?

Mark:

Work is proceeding, the other cars don't need to be moved.

2. Newsletter Recap

Isabela:

Air filter changing will happen soon, between the 19th-22nd. Dates for specific apartments will be released shortly. Pets will need to be crated on your inspection day.

Isabela:

What exactly is the new commons front door policy?

Mark:

There are alarms if doors are opened/closed incorrectly. Now the first door doesn't alarm, but the inner will. You now need to swipe at both doors to get in.

Isabela:

Please remember to set your heat to at least 65 degrees if going away for the holiday.

Olivia:

And please turn off your alarm clocks!

Mark:

We will also send out additional reminders tomorrow about winter

maintenance.

3. Vehicle Info

Isabela:

Public safety has jumper cables if you need a jump. There will be a shovel and bucket in the parking area if needed.

Vicky:

Will there be one for the stairs? They can get icy.

Mark:

We will try to find a spot for one.

4. Events

Vicky:

On this Sunday from 4-6 we are doing holiday crafts for kids and adults.

Isabela:

Will these craft supplies be good for making holiday photobooth sets for guinea pigs?

Vicky:

They could be used, it could work. There is also a wrapping day on Thursday from 5-7. It will be great for kids/adults who want to wrap presents.

Olivia:

How did the recent events go? How did you make smores?

Vicky:

They went well, we had a good turnout, especially for smores. Gloria helped make them and did a great job.

5. Computer Room Additions

Isabela:

Can we get a stapler and hole punch in the computer room?

Mark:

Yes.

Isabela:

There was also a request for a bin for scrap paper people can use instead of recycling. Would this be useful?

Kyle:

People can just pull it out of the recycling.

Isabela:

We can see if people want this available (if you want a scrap paper bin email us!).

6. CSA

Isabela:

The season for CSA is over, but it was a great success. We'd like to thank the volunteers, especially Sara Rodriguez.

All:

Applause.

Isabela:

What is the status of continuing the CSA program?

Kyle:

We will, but I don't know much about it yet. I will be working to continue it.

7. Noise Policy Reminder

Isabela:

The handbook states that residents need to be polite at all times.

Olivia:

Please try to talk to the other party yourself first though, it usually goes fairly well.

Charles:

So the basketball guy could have come to the front desk?

Olivia:

On that point, new signage has been placed around the court. That resident called public safety and it was sorted out.

Charles:

What if we call after hours?

Mark:

It goes to a third party, who can call us.

8. Listserv

Isabela:

We will be sending out instructions for adding spouses to the listserv.

David:

The emails need to be registered.

Isabela:

That's a good point, we should make that and the instructions clear.

9. Bike Theft

Resident:

Some bikes have been stolen, and it was been happening recently (last week). Can we do anything?

Isabela:

Last time public safety suggested to use U-locks to prevent theft, and also to register your bike.

Resident:

Can anything be done, perhaps camera/fake cameras?

Olivia:

That's a good question. Last year it was an organized bike ring.

Resident:

My wife and I have had two bikes stolen from the main entrance to our building. I got mine back luckily.

Mark:

I can ask about cameras.

Olivia:

We can at least see if public safety can take other measures or increase patrols.

Vicky:

Did you check by the boathouse? My husband's bike got stolen and he saw someone riding it. Perhaps take a look around campus.

Isabela:

A good reminder to be careful.

10. Garden Plot Update

Kyle:

Cleanup day was good, some plots still need some work. I asked for feedback on problems. People didn't like the current watering system, was it temporary?

Mark:

No, there is no irrigation in the location.

Kyle:

Okay, perhaps we can use better in-garden solutions. Some people have

had trouble stretching the hose to their plot.

Vicky:

The biggest issue I had was one faucet leaked and made it swampy and disgusting around my plot.

Kyle:

We can address that. People were just a little careless, but I'll do my best to address it quickly when there are problems. The number two complaint was neglected plots. It spread weeds and was a waste of growing space. That'll be on me as garden coordinator to keep people maintaining their plots. The third issue was the common area weeds. The areas outside the borders had a lot of weeds. Medium/long term solution to this could be landscaping solutions, we do have some money in our funds. There also is an issue of steep grades and rain. I'll submit something in writing to you Mark. Some other folks had problems with pests, I'll look to patch the fence. Overall people were happy though and we'll have some returning gardeners.

Vicky:

Oftentimes the top of the plot would be dry, but once you dig into it would be soaking wet. Why was this happening?

Kyle:

It could have been the leaky hose issues. I had similar problems with part of my plot.

