Yiying Tan

Office: External Relations Delegate

Candidate Statement:

Hello! My name is Yiying Tan, and I’m a fourth-year graduate student in Economics. I’m running to continue my work as External Relations Delegate on the Lakeside committee. 

When I was elected to the role in this summer’s special election, I communicated that my main priorities would be to 1) work with ACC and the rest of the Lakeside Committee to improve package delivery issues, 2) transmit resident feedback and input on policies to Transportation and Parking Services, Housing, and Public Safety promptly, and 3) continue and iterate on the great Greening Move Out initiative by the last External Relations Delegate, Sophia. 

I intend to continue prioritizing these issues, and I have already made progress in my short time so far as the external relations delegate: 

a) Proposed potential solutions for resolving package issues have been raised in the most recent town hall; the reception was fairly positive, and I intend to work with the rest of the Lakeside committee on

• Creating a clearly demarcated corner in apartment buildings for packages that have been misdelivered (meant for the wrong apartment building) to simplify package re-sorting/ scouting. I intend to explore also having a label/ separate corner for packages (purposely) delivered to apartment lobbies for nearby townhouses. 
  • Creating a “lost packages” form and pinning this to the Lakeside Slack to make it easier for students to inform other students and/or management about lost packages so that they might be easier to keep track of. 

b) I have been/ will be attending meetings with the Grad Housing Advisory Committee and Grad Dining Advisory Committee, and have been/ will be actively soliciting resident input before these meetings; where applicable, I have updated students on the outcome of raising these issues. I have also attended two GSG meetings and look forward to attending the transport and public safety meetings. 

• Collecting Feedback: My suggestion to pin the anonymous feedback form to the Lakeside Slack to improve accessibility has also had a positive reception; I also intend to work on making a more structured (but still streamlined) form so that feedback on specific issues can be more easily communicated. 

c) I remain excited about continuing Greening Move Out, and hope, if re-elected, to work with the resident community, Lakeside Committee, and relevant external stakeholders to explore how we could make furniture easier to organize and sort through/ exchange

My experience on the committee has so far been a positive and productive one, and I would love the opportunity to continue in this role and finish the job!